New life for an old landmark
In the 1950s, when the old Bank of Holcomb building at the corner of North Main and Tuscohoma streets, was the Corner Grocery, Coca-Cola painted a big sign on the side featuring its mascot "Sparkle" and advertising Cokes for 5 cents. In the 1970s, below left, the sign was fading, but still a local landmark. By the 1990s, below right, it had almost vanished.
|In 1999, Mike Lott, the new owner of the building, commissioned artist Cristen Craven Bainard of Tutwiler, Miss., to repaint the sign. The Coca-Cola Co., after some discussion, granted permission. Writer/photographer Gwen Woods of The Daily Sentinel-Star newspaper in Grenada, Miss., photographed Bainard at work (below left) and the restored sign (below right).|
|Lott also hopes to have Bainard paint scenes of old Holcomb on a 1916 concrete horse and mule watering trough that used to sit in front of the old bank building and offered animals their own place to pause and refresh from a nearby Artisan well.|